Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Mustn't Grumble..

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Cianne
Dreamer

Mustn't Grumble..

Post by Cianne »

But I'm going to anyways.

On the Library Mission Board, my new thing is, to ask people to come and talk to me about whatever the subject is and to get things from me (forged items) in order to gain their reward.

This accomplishes a couple of things, it encourages more roleplaying and interraction (pretty sure that's why we're in UL) it encourages people to actually go out and look for me and it also helps me practice my forge, which is brand new for me and very fun and exciting.

Soooooooooo.... when I see that these quests have been completed and no one has come to see me to talk about the quest nor have they gotten the forged item from me (as per part of the "deal"),but got there 1000 xp anyways, it makes me slightly annoyed, and even a bit sad and also makes me kind of not want to post on there anymore.

/end grumble.
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Malarky
Dreamer

Re: Mustn't Grumble..

Post by Malarky »

Easy solution is to be more particular with the item to be returned. Make sure it is "Do Nothing" and not Shield or Chakram etc. Since Do Nothing items can not be genned, if your items are of a particular appearance that is not common in "Do Nothing" items people typically forge, then it can be established that someone is either cheating with forge or convincing people to forge them things that match the quest objective.

My advice though would be to be more forward with students and prospective students/friends and share these items more openly in the hope that there will be a trickle down effect that rewards people for collectively working together. I'd take it a step further and ask the students rewarded with the token for these particular quests whether or not they'd like to teach and encourage them to accept your sponsorship to post their quest idea to the quest board. It saves you the effort and encourages an entire generation of teachers eager to get "internship" experience.
Dina

Post by Dina »

Anyone with forge can make the specific item though Malarky. I rather put it on the board, then give the xp through bequeath. Dina needs to learn that art eventually. I think Master Teachers should automatically get it anyway.

I stay away from the boards.
FrigginAwesome
Dreamer

Post by FrigginAwesome »

Anyone of the same focus as the poster, with forge, which narrows the list of suspects considerably...
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

FrigginAwesome wrote:Anyone of the same focus as the poster, with forge, which narrows the list of suspects considerably...
It's not hard to find out where the item used to solve the quest came from and if it's someone exploiting forge for xp it should be treated as that. If it's someone convincing people with forge to make things that incidentally meet the criteria to solve the quest objective then that's a whole other kettle of fish.

I just don't take the boards serious because they're under utilized and the quests are often way more abstract than they need to be.
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Oh, I'm looking for you, Cianne. I just completed the ones that I could complete at the time because I have limited space in my goal book and don't know when I'll next manage to find you.
Incidentally, I didn't use forge, or ask anyone else to use forge, for any of them, so see if you can work out how I did the one that at first sight looks impossible without Forge! :-)
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

It's always been my understanding that the library mission boards were intended for newlies to gain instant rewards, without having to find the teacher before they can complete it. It's not an official written task, so those accepting might not even dream at the same time as the poster.

The max amount of XP we can give to one person is 1,000 - which is the equivalent of *one* Agoknight. To me, hunting down a teacher for such a small reward is a little more hard than simply asking someone to collapse a few Agos for them.

In my opinion, seeking out a teacher for XP only sounds appealing if Bequeath is involved, because it allows you to grant more than a Library Mission.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Koi-Spark
Dreamer

Post by Koi-Spark »

Also, quest boards allow you to set a codex as the required item with specific keywords. Those keywords aren't shown in the post or post details, so nobody will know the keywords unless they talk to you and you inscribe it for them. The item retrieval is more about "find a charm that works for your focus" and "find a chakram with a scare effect" and things of that nature. Sure, most of them can be forged, but that's another reason the xp rewards are kept low. The board's primary purpose is giving newly awakened an alternative source of xp while also teaching them something about the game. 1000xp is an entire orbit if you're unsphered, so it's a pretty good reward for most quests.
Koi-Spark,
Development Lead
Technical Admin/Support
Level Design, Artwork
Game Master, In-Game Support
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

Thanks for all the input everyone, and Spark, I can never get the codex ones to work properly. I'll test it again soon.

~C
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Ooh, yes, there should be more codex ones, if they can be got working. That would be more interesting - or, at least, a new kind of interesting, no disrespect to the item quests :-) - you might have to solve a puzzle or find out something like "who built so-and-so?".
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.