Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Questions about dreamstrike and role playing

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Re: Questions about dreamstrike and role playing

Post by fr3y »

I've got a question. How does being dreamstruck affect a dreamers shardic life ? is there any history regarding this at all ?

Besides the obvious boredom..
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
fr3y
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Frey, Kendo, That one guy

Post by fr3y »

And I agree with Inzoum. If you can wake at will any other time, you can wake under the threat of dreamstrike. You'd have to either claim that everyone who suddenly has to wake as not rp'ing or add something to the effects of dreamstrike preventing such.
11:11:28: Purple Lace: Frayed logic
11:11:39: You Say: no
11:11:43: You Say: Freyed logic

I don't compete, I'm the prize.
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Whether it's the coward's way out is a debate on personality and character, but either way, it's an acceptable way out.
I disagree. If you're looking for a hard fast rule as far as waking goes, there is none and with good reason. It requires a lot of time to monitor. No GM team in the history of this game has really enforced a hard fast rule prohibiting waking to exploit the software, but if you are waking to avoid the consequences of your decisions to fight, you can rest assured there's a good chance a GM will care. Battle-waking has never been acceptable conduct.

Fr3y, you wouldn't have to claim everyone who wakes out of combat of their own volition is not RP'ing to find a valid complaint in someone exploiting the function to avoid the consequences of their own decisions to engage in combat.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

I disagree wholeheartedly. "Battlewaking" has it's own system of punishment IC. There's even a word for it in Maren, dargonn, battlewaker. There is a social stigma about battlewaking, and in the old days it was a supreme act of cowardice. Now, the social norm has become more liberal and while general battlewaking would likely still be frowned upon, in extreme cases, such as dreamstrike, the social implications are minimal, since most of the community agrees that it's not some egregious breach of normal societal protocol.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Malarky
Dreamer

Post by Malarky »

Uthanatos wrote:I disagree wholeheartedly. "Battlewaking" has it's own system of punishment IC. There's even a word for it in Maren, dargonn, battlewaker. There is a social stigma about battlewaking, and in the old days it was a supreme act of cowardice. Now, the social norm has become more liberal and while general battlewaking would likely still be frowned upon, in extreme cases, such as dreamstrike, the social implications are minimal, since most of the community agrees that it's not some egregious breach of normal societal protocol.
Most of the community doesn't have to try and keep people playing fair. If you cheat to avoid the consequences of your decision to engage in a fight then you deserve the consequences of whatever a GM decides is appropriate as a deterrent for that act. Battlewaking has no IC consequence. Literally none. You can make them up, but they don't exist as rules. The three rules do apply though. Interpreting a response to violating those rules isn't for the community to do but GM alone.
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

I think it'd be interesting if they added some real consequence to waking as a soulsphere. Maybe something like a temporary dreamsoul loss where you lose 5 of your max dreamsoul for 2 days after waking as a soulsphere with the timer resetting and you losing 5 more each time you wake in that time period.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Malarky wrote:
Whether it's the coward's way out is a debate on personality and character, but either way, it's an acceptable way out.
No GM team in the history of this game has really enforced a hard fast rule prohibiting waking to exploit the software, but if you are waking to avoid the consequences of your decisions to fight, you can rest assured there's a good chance a GM will care. Battle-waking has never been acceptable conduct.
Exactly. I never played Lyra, so I don't know how strict they were about it, but in Shades of Truth, the GMs did punish people for battle waking. We also were encouraged to report any battle waking we witnessed.

In fact, just the term "battle waking" was OOC, for some reason. One player decided to accuse a member in my house of doing it and just because a group of us were there at the time it was said IC, we all got docked XP. (It ended up getting returned to those it was wrongly taken from, though.)

I've always thought it was a lame way out and would often get annoyed when someone would wake out of a ward trap I set. I believe battle waking was the reason SoT implemented "enter where you wake".
Sidas wrote:I think it'd be interesting if they added some real consequence to waking as a soulsphere. Maybe something like a temporary dreamsoul loss where you lose 5 of your max dreamsoul for 2 days after waking as a soulsphere with the timer resetting and you losing 5 more each time you wake in that time period.
Agreed, a real penalty would be nice. Even a few orbits instead of a small chunk of XP might work, as that would run the risk of losing a sphere, depending on your orbit.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Magnum425
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Magnum425

Post by Magnum425 »

I've stormed as a soulsphere before.. not willingly sometimes due to to many people in the fight causeing to much lag or the occasional recall storm crossing planes.. why should people get docked orbits and spheres if they don't do it intentionally, because the system wont discriminate
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

The IC story is that waking as a soulsphere is very dangerous and costly. It should be painful for the character. 1% XP loss clearly isn't enough to make people think twice about just logging out the second they float, so it should be more.

Using IC means of escape should always be the primary first response. Waking to travel, escape a fight, or even escape Dreamstrike should be frowned upon.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

It's very rare to storm as a soulsphere, and if people do with this added penalty, they might decide against denying restore just so they can float and observe or taking their time to get to sanctuary. IC, our avatars shield our raw defenseless soulspheres. We should always do what we can to return our coherence as quick as possible. If the Recall bug happened, the GMs might be willing to return the losses for those certain instances.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

Sorry but in real life when I have one of those dreams where I'm about to die.. I wake myself up. Battlewaking vs dreamstrike waking are entirely different plus it forced even greater results when Zaxun figured out a method to stop one from waking. More role play.. IMO if you wake avoiding death cool, but if you wake avoiding a collapse? You are battlewaking at that moment. That's really all there is to it.