Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

On the topic of Alternative Arts Usage

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

On the topic of Alternative Arts Usage

Post by coltdorsey »

One point I read was, "Join Party and Give can cause a short delay in combatants allowing a few well placed strikes to turn the tide."

Koi, is this a legitimate use case? Its almost temporary paralysis because of the dialog box demanding focus.

I've had someone do this to me before long ago, but the scenario was a bit different. A character requested my character inscribe something for them and they were out of sanctuary. While inscribing, they attacked.

I've been under the impression that scenarios like these would be an exploitation of the game mechanics.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Re: On the topic of Alternative Arts Usage

Post by Cherokee »

I was also under the impression that this was exploitation. A player in SoT used to toss things at people during battle all the time so he could get some shots in, and I believe was reprimanded. Though if it's not a hard rule, at least we have the reject all function.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Clarity
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I'm like 75% sure it was considered abuse back in the day... the rest of that percentage just being "It's a dick move so you just don't do it," followed closely by, "Pretty sure someone beat 'Make sure you ask before you pass' into us as new players"

Not that I was big on fighting back in the day, but I don't remember it being an issue? So likely it happened a few times, and Lyra squashed it fast.
So it’s gonna be forever, and I will stay up through the night. You can tell me when it’s over, and let’s be clear, won’t close my eyes. @-;-
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

Since you don't HAVE to respond to the prompt, it's more a nuisance and there is the autoreject option. Those together are why I decided to include it as a method of distraction. It distracts you only if you allow it to, but that being said, still open to a ruling from the powers that be.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Cuero
Dreamer

Post by Cuero »

I am also under the impression this exploitative as you're forcing an emote on the character. But I'm kind of a roleplay "give and take" purist.

If you were to throw something at someone in combat legitimately, they could dodge it, ignore you, not see it, be struck by it for damage, but they would not involuntarily stop. Just like all emotes that include "hugs, punches, touches, etc" are force emotes whether you believe them to be or not. People can reject all of those things long before they ever reach their personal space, but you've put the character and the player in a position where a response is demanded when one wasn't needed. "Reaches out to hug" is the alternative. I would see the same principle applying to combat, given that I'm a Seer and don't have paralysis, I cannot spam Give or JP and add to my combat prowess.

Reject All, and Ignore, are answers, but they are Out of Character, and we live in an In Character realm.

All that being said, I don't think it was meant to target Uthy's class, merely asking for clarification. Uthy was simply providing -every way- combat can be affected by what we have at our disposal.

~Cuero
~Cuero/Sevlen
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Post by coltdorsey »

Cuero wrote: All that being said, I don't think it was meant to target Uthy's class, merely asking for clarification.
~Cuero
Asking for clarification is correct.
Koi-Shadow

Post by Koi-Shadow »

As others have said, repeatedly trying to give someone an item or repeatedly trying to join party to someone in combat is abusing an OOC mechanic for an IC advantage. This has been considered abuse in all versions of Underlight. There is a "Reject-All" function you could use to solve the problem temporarily until it can be dealt with.

However, I do not see anything wrong with your example of somebody asking you to inscribe something then attacking you. I would suggest next time that they ask you to forge something, then immediately chak you once you complete the item while you are still low on dreamsoul, as that might be more effective.
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

Shadow, you swine! :-D Now THAT's what's called keeping things lively...
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

So it is written, so shall it be done.
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days