Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Opinion..

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Cianne
Dreamer

Opinion..

Post by Cianne »

Hi all,

I just wrote an In character post about the Lyceum, but it needs approval, so maybe will be there tonight. In the meantime.. I just wanted to say something about it out here that couldnt be said in the IC post..because, well, it's ooc.

I think the Wordsmith Mark should also be given to people who are just amazingly damn good roleplayers! (actors!), and some of those may not be writers, poets, etc...etc...

I can think of 3 right now off the top of my head that are incredible!, however.. they don't do "public" type writing etc.. but they are the kind of people who you just love to be around to see what they are going to do next.

Just my 2 cents :)

~Cristi
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Re: Opinion..

Post by Arnaya »

There's already a system in place to reward players like that though (the RP Point system, which I would personally like to see expanded a little to more appropriately reward good roleplaying). The problem with giving the Wordsmith mark out without have an in character role for it... is that it doesn't mean anything at that point other than as a badge for people to point to and go "Look how great and amazing of a roleplayer I am, everyone worship me".

I know that sounds a little harsh, but in game now... Arnaya has had 3 former Wordsmiths literally throw temper tantrums about even the idea of having to do ANYTHING to get the mark, 3 others attempt to manipulate her to get their marks back without doing anything themselves, and 5 different ones tell her flat out that if their past work didn't warrant them getting the mark given to them now, they wouldn't accept it even if offered. The attitude was: "I'm such a great roleplayer, I've done so much in the past, I'm owed it. Give it to me now".

People who are good roleplayers and push things forward and are entertaining to RP with are already recognized as such by the player base. They get more support for events that they hold, people get involved more.... are more willing to do things to help them out, talk about what they're doing more... all of that sort of thing. Basically, everything they do meets with greater success than the exact same event held by someone who isn't as good or creative of a roleplayer.

I'm all in favour of rewarding good roleplaying in a variety of ways, but I don't think a crest badge or whatever is a good way to do that. All it does is seriously promote elitism and arrogance... and provide a vehicle to further prop those up (I'm not going to name names here, but I'm sure most people reading this could pull a couple of names that my previous comment could apply to). From what I understand, the way that the GM's (yes, the current Wordsmith requirements were developed with input from GM's) want things with the Wordsmith mark is more of a guild or association of Lore and Culture keepers/promoters than anything else. Basically, taking out of the status/prestige symbol it apparently was at one point... and moving it to actually involving in game activity and a specialized role for people to move their characters towards.

I really don't mean this to bash on anyone, or insult anyone... but: "Past glory does not equal present or future grandeur". And unfortunately, "Good roleplaying" is a very nebulous measure for granting long term in game symbols or marks. The Wordsmith mark as its being done now designates people who are part of a loose organization dedicated to preserving and sharing lore, and encouraging the development and spread of the cities culture... primarily via the written word (in some form or another). If someone that belongs to that organization ceases to uphold the ideals of it, they are removed from it. The idea seems to be to make something new for this new era of the game.

I know some of what I've said will be taken personally or as an attack by some people, and I'm sorry if what I've said offends anyone.. I really don't mean this to be an attack on anyone... just maybe a bit of a wakeup call that there is a game going on NOW. Its going in different directions, and with different people than I keep hearing about in the past...but this isn't a bad thing, and doesn't take anything away from what your characters did in the past. Again, I hope that the readers will put some thought into what I've said here... and again, I am sorry if any of the readers choose to take offense to my comments and observations.

~ Jan, the Insanity behind Arnaya
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Cianne
Dreamer

Post by Cianne »

Arnaya has had 3 former Wordsmiths literally throw temper tantrums about even the idea of having to do ANYTHING to get the mark, 3 others attempt to manipulate her to get their marks back without doing anything themselves, and 5 different ones tell her flat out that if their past work didn't warrant them getting the mark given to them now, they wouldn't accept it even if offered. The attitude was: "I'm such a great roleplayer, I've done so much in the past, I'm owed it. Give it to me now".
That's 8... I dont even remember there being 8, unless that includes SoT players also :) (a game which I missed entirely)

Well, that is unfortunate. So far, "cianne" has kept her mouth shut, but she is in "old school" mind when it comes to the WS mark, and had politely declined it when Arnaya had urged her to take it a few months back... not because of what you said up there.."I'm such a great roleplayer...etc.. but on principle and in the memory of Gilean and Taroneh. (expanding on that further and giving her reasoning in the upcoming IC post)

But yes, definitely going to be a bone of contention in game that you should have seen coming :lol:

Also... fair enough. PP points for excellent roleplaying... I see your point. Wish we could give out more.

~Cristi
~Practice patience and silent reflection in a moment of anger ~ It will save you infinite moments of regret~
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Cianne wrote:
That's 8... I dont even remember there being 8, unless that includes SoT players also :) (a game which I missed entirely)

Well, that is unfortunate. So far, "cianne" has kept her mouth shut, but she is in "old school" mind when it comes to the WS mark, and had politely declined it when Arnaya had urged her to take it a few months back... not because of what you said up there.."I'm such a great roleplayer...etc.. but on principle and in the memory of Gilean and Taroneh. (expanding on that further and giving her reasoning in the upcoming IC post)

But yes, definitely going to be a bone of contention in game that you should have seen coming :lol:

Also... fair enough. PP points for excellent roleplaying... I see your point. Wish we could give out more.

~Cristi
Lol, it's actually been 9 characters (between SoT and Lyran era characters. Not sure how many of those have the same controllers), two of those numbers are dual incident ones (IE: threw a temper tantrum once, and pulled the "I earned it back in the day" on another occasion). Worded differently of course, but those were the general idea's behind things lol. I don't really take things very personally on an OOC level unless Arnaya gets hit with something repeatedly and for prolonged periods... then its more of a: "Okay, enough already... shut the hell up would you" thing from me.

I did see some of it coming, but I was a little surprised about a couple of the people that had weighed in. I guess I didn't realize how little separation there was between some controllers and their characters.

The RP points thing I wish was expanded a bit in uses. I understand why sphereing isn't allowed (I've been told a few stories about that), but allowing plateaus of arts for high cost or something along those lines would be nice.... even "sacrificing some of the characters gathered power to an elder in return for a plateau" would be cool if the GM's wanted to maintain some hands on control and monitoring of that type of use. Likewise, I wish we either could give out more... or there was a shorter delay between grants.

~Jan
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Arnaya wrote:Stuff.
Shortened the quote, but I agree with everything Arnaya said.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Uthanatos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Uthanatos

Post by Uthanatos »

As Uthy so often says in character.....what she said. The Wordsmiths not being the only point here, while the wordsmiths are active and function oriented, I just wish the Forgers guild were more like that, things to do, dreams to improve, ya know.....oh hey, flying monkeys.......

Kipp
“Sometimes it isn't easy to be sane, smart, and responsible. Sometimes it sucks. Sucks wang. Camel wang. But that doesn't turn wrong into right or stupid into smart.”
― Jim Butcher, Cold Days
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

Uthanatos wrote: The Wordsmiths not being the only point here, while the wordsmiths are active and function oriented, I just wish the Forgers guild were more like that, things to do, dreams to improve, ya know
Hrm? The Forge Guild exists to teach Forge. Invariably, most of their pushing of things is going to be through tasks. The Dreamsmiths are also very openly willing to assist with Forgings when requested.