Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

The Adventures of Harkyn

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Shoury
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Shoury

The Adventures of Harkyn

Post by Shoury »

Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Re: The Adventures of Harkyn

Post by Arnaya »

Don't take this wrong.... but I'm not sure this type of video is going to draw in players.....
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Shoury
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Shoury

Post by Shoury »

Arnaya wrote:Don't take this wrong.... but I'm not sure this type of video is going to draw in players.....
Elaborate, young one.
Princess
Dreamer
Character Name(s): ZsaZsa~ tiny princess

Post by Princess »

four things wrong with the video, everyone has trade mark items they forge for alts or elements, and dreamers have habits, I know who made his sphere task. it ruined the surprise that he is in a house, and now too many know how the rp is being driven
You see a pressed seal of wax is etched displaying in the center an empty Sigil. The etching is shaped in the manner of a coat of arms. The top right sector, a teacup, the top left, a dolly.
Zsa Zsa,tiny princess of the City of Dreams
Cuero
Dreamer

Post by Cuero »

Everything contained in this video is posted in an OOC forum, and should be treated as out-of-character. The fact you, the controller, knows all of these things is irrelevant, and should simply make you appreciate how much of what is now known has been kept secret for so long. Zsa Zsa, nor anyone else, learned anything at all from the video.
~Cuero/Sevlen
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Will.... some people would be drawn to this sort of thing, but a lot of decent roleplayers would probably be turned away (I for example wouldn't be drawn to this game at all by that video, just because for the first several minutes its just Harkyn "griefing" people passing by) by the roleplaying demonstrated in the first few minutes of the video. People have to deal with a lot of crap in their day to day lives, making the promo focus on that (at least as far as most people will watch into the video) is a turn off to less "conflict based roleplayers".

Please don't misunderstand me, from what I've seen of Harkyn... he's a well roleplayed character. But for promotional video's, especially for most people, things have to be condensed. Short, concise, exciting. A montage is kind (A mare fight, a larger dreamer battle, a GM supported event, etc... with the time slightly sped up. x1.10 or x1.20 would be more than good) of the usual for promo-videos. For a video like this, I'd suggest the highlights of things rather than the full interactions... cut scenes instead of the fast forward, etc.

I don't mean this to be a bash on the creator thing, huge Kudo's from me for just putting it together. The above are suggestions if your looking to do a promotional video or something to get new people interested in the game :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Cherokee
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jade

Post by Cherokee »

Actually, I showed this video to a friend and he became very interested in playing UL. I thought this whole RP was unique, and made me think of Harkyn playing a twist of a fairytale bridge troll. Underlight is not a tabletop game – there is supposed to be conflict. We also have other videos of mare and dreamer battles, and more should be made...but I think this character wanted to show off something exciting he was doing in the game.

Also, as Cuero stated: this whole video is OOC. Anything you see on there should not be carried over IC.
23:48:24: Laviticas: (( I am going to ****ing say this now because I will not be back in the stupid game.)

22:44:20: >Jawsman evokes his own dreamquake, which is bigger than Magnilia's dreamquake.
Lu Chaos
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Lu Chaos

Post by Lu Chaos »

Then if people apply his video to in game situations then they should be punished for using OOC information and bringing it in character, yes?

If people are looking for information from this video, then they have failed to uphold what we all hold true and that is the very role play aspect we search for when we play this game. We should all be free to post videos and not have to deal with OOC situations in game.

That's just my opinion though.

On another note, I loved the video, I loved the whole RP and frankly.. I was upset I didn't do that first!! Haha much appreciated for Harkyn for putting the video up and showing people how fun RPing can be.. On another note though as mentioned above.. The next video should be viewed in sections, of the event parts of whatever event you are recording, show more action, less typing. You know? Loved the video though Harkyn, keep it up.

-Lu Chaos
Princess
Dreamer
Character Name(s): ZsaZsa~ tiny princess

Post by Princess »

A draw-in is suppose to be about fun, most video's show the aspects of winning to draw in potential players for marketing stand point. Free to play does mean anything anymore. I see Arnaya's point about the possible turn off. Secondly it ruined the whole mysterious Harykyn for me it. I dont want to know, the controller forced that knowledge on me showing that off in the video.
You see a pressed seal of wax is etched displaying in the center an empty Sigil. The etching is shaped in the manner of a coat of arms. The top right sector, a teacup, the top left, a dolly.
Zsa Zsa,tiny princess of the City of Dreams
Dina

Post by Dina »

I thought it was funny and watched it 3 times! People need to stop b******g about it and find their sense of humor!!!
Tember
Dreamer

Post by Tember »

I actually loved the video and disagree with some of the negative comments that have been made. He could have made a video of people standing around in thresh, which is what happens the majority of the time, and I seriously doubt that would draw in new players. This was funny and fun to watch. I think that "decent" roleplayers will find the humor.

Also, you should not use your knowledge of this player as an opportunity now, after seeing the video as a way of telling everyone else. I could not tell from his pack items. He could have gotten those things any kind of way. I actually saw forged items from two different people in two different houses.

You have no right to complain that he is "forcing knowledge" on you about his character. It is his right if he does not care that people may know or find out who he is. Same as you have made it obvious of all the characters that you control.

I saw no griefing, If there had of been, then he would have just attacked as soon as people entered through the portal.. I thought it was a unique and fun roleplay. I was one of the ones collapsed but I found it to be hilarious! :mrgreen: If people are not drawn to this sort of thing, then they shouldn't play! :p Underlight has been about conflict for over 15 years, as most games out there are about fighting/conflict.
coltdorsey
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Thunderman

Post by coltdorsey »

I enjoyed watching the video. Having been present for Harkyn previously asking Calenture for their support for a toll and seeing the follow up video was great. The interaction between characters gave me good laughs. It was also a fun moment for me @ 3:11 in when I thought to myself, "You're too far away to shatter!" and then he had to scoot closer. Thanks for sharing.
Jones
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Jones Shaw

Post by Jones »

Fun to watch, thanks!

Credits.... Jones Shaw - respectful cowboy... Wolflancer level 20 chakram user :lol:
Sidas
Developer
Character Name(s): Dreiko

Post by Sidas »

I liked the video.

I think it fits as a perfect "Exhibit A" for why Peace Aura needed to be nerfed as well since Dakkoth could have easily just Peace Aura'd himself instead of Harkyn and been just fine.
Wolflancer
Dreamer

Post by Wolflancer »

As one of the characters he smoked..I liked the video. I thought it was a fun time in game and I totally under estimated what he could do hence the 20 deafen chak first lol.