Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Athenaeum of Dreams?

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Jiovanni
Archon of Justice

Athenaeum of Dreams?

Post by Jiovanni »

Should more be written? Did they help you understand the Clash of Dream setup? What would you like to see?
Loathed
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Magnilia

Re: Athenaeum of Dreams?

Post by Loathed »

I doubt it comes as a surprise that I would love to have more content in this regard. As I considered the question last night I also came up with a suggestion.

Use the player story arcs and actual events that have occurred or are occurring in the game as inspiration for the Athenaeum content. There have been some very interesting chapters of the game that deserve to be immortalized as part of the game lore itself: From the early work of the 'Order' and their storage situation. Calenture and the restructuring of the City Guard. The Light and the saga of the Soul Essence. The Alliance and the Siren and/or the Museum.

Documenting these momentous and interesting events can be given unique presentation by the creative writers on the team given their unique insights from the players themselves through role playing reports, details perfectly suited to inspire and entertain a wider audience when brought together and presented in such a way.

This also serves to make the events in game feel connected to an ongoing and cohesive lore base for the game itself while also encouraging players to give deeper thought to the legacy they are creating in game. Moving away from one off events and a scripted mentality to encourage their reports and in game activities to include more detail.

New players and returning alike would also be provided for a very unique perspective and way to approach and be introduced to the events that have unfolded in game.

Players themselves would likely be encouraged to use their own creative writing skills to add to the mix by presenting accounts of events and motivations from their perspective through the avenues they now have for their own creative writing pursuits using the IC forum specifically designated for this.
A man's character is his fate. - Heraclitus
Noidea
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Blue; Neveren (inactive)

Post by Noidea »

That was always the idea of the two new IC forums (Notices and the Archive of the Awakened), that they could be used to post news of what was happening in the City, as they were on the SoT forum. I'm not sure why that didn't happen. Currently Notices is used for things that are going to happen, no things that have happened already, and the Archives are mostly riddles and poetry from Tember and others. Don't get me wrong, the riddles are very atmospheric, but why is nobody posting news? (With a few honourable exceptions - thanks, Cherokee.) It's an odd situation at the moment where the forum has blow-by-blow accounts of the directly GM-driven storylines as they happen, but almost no IC mention of the various dramas among the players and houses, which normally loom much larger in UL "daily life"!
Efforts yield rewards, not words alone.
Jiovanni
Archon of Justice

Post by Jiovanni »

Bump.

Are these entries being helpful to players? Do they give you any insight into the events taking place in-game? What would you like to see more of?
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

Keep going with what you have. What your putting out is enough to get a good picture of what is going on in game, and is REALLY helping Arnaya put things together despite her youth in the dream.

The only thing I'd like to see added is actually a script change to the Archives forum. Right now, functionally the archives a whole crap load of loose papers that some toddler has gotten into and thrown into the air repeatedly. I think an archive should be more of a library type set up, with similar topics (or at least the writings of a single author on a single topic) all bound together like a small book.

So, basically.... allow the writer (if no one else) to put up additional posts in the one thread. This would actually make the Archives useful as a news medium, and to document ongoing events on a specific topic. It would also allow for "Poetry Books" by a single author, instead of fifty different little pages scattered across the archive and needing a full on hunt to find.

Just my thoughts on it. That's the only thing I'd like to see changed, otherwise... keep it up :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.
Koi-Drama
Founder

Post by Koi-Drama »

We will look into it although we want to encourage game play within the game itself. In the past, the forums were used to a point where more conflicts erupted on the forums than in the game itself. We will happily continue to find a balance as we reexamine the in-character forums.

Thank you for your excellent feedback. Please keep them flowing!
“I try to bring the audience's own drama, tears and laughter they know about, to them.”
Arnaya
Dreamer
Character Name(s): Arnaya

Post by Arnaya »

I can definitely get the conflict thing. I've been on enough forums to know how that one goes Lol

I still think that with the posts having to be approved before its seen, and keeping only the initial writer as able to write reply’s, that problem shouldn't be any worse than now. You guys call, but I really think that would be an excellent system :)
The most important lesson I've learned over this past year, is not to let anyone make you cruel. No matter how badly you want to give the world a taste of it's own bitter medicine, it is never worth losing yourself.