Underlight Discord Chat: http://discord.underlight.com/
Production Server: Online (Version 3.1.15)
Player Test Realm Server: Offline (Version 3.1.15)

Rotating Out

This out of character forum is for discussion of roleplaying, how to roleplay and roleplay coordination.
Koi-Palloi
Senior GameMaster

Rotating Out

Post by Koi-Palloi »

Hey fam,

I'll be rotating out of the GM role this week and hopping back over to strictly the player side of the fence. I enjoyed my time on the team and would like to relay some thoughts for what they are worth. Lupine will be serving as RP lead for the foreseeable future and I look forward to seeing what the team cooks up. I enjoy UL much more on the player side, so I look forward to rejoining folks on that side of the fence.

I'd like to thank Wish and Drama for entertaining some experimentation during my tenure - We built an unprecedented system of accountability for the houses which ultimately didn't have enough consistent GM support to continue, and didn't get automated as planned. I do hope that project gets finished, but if not, it was an interesting experiment. There are some myriad issues with the house system that can be improved, and hopefully there will be some more cracks at it in the future.

To GM's:

1) Players seem to appreciate the unexpected much more than the planned.

2) Take risks, make people uncomfortable.

3) Don't take complaints too personally. Trying to account for and validate everyone's feelings is an impossible game.

4) Avoid policing language. Just because someone is offended, or many someones are offended, doesn't mean they are correct.

To Players:

1) Tribal behavior and cliques are good and useful in certain contexts, but mostly serve to your own detriment in the current environment. Interactions outside of your comfort zone might yield more fruit than expected.

2) Know that even if you feel strongly about something, it doesn't mean you're correct. Emotions are tricky that way. Anytime you feel yourself as a victim, its a good time to disengage and reflect on the situation when you're able to do so in a more objective way.

3) If you appreciate something in-game, let the GM team know. A little positive reinforcement goes a long way.

4) Know that only about 5 or 6 people actively use the RP reporting tool, and receive the bulk of GM attention because of it. Use that more.

5) Don't be so attached to the idea of your character that it becomes more of a symbol than a living, breathing person. Take risks, accept consequences, build on the story.

Love and stuff,
Koi-Palloi
Trust in dreams, for in them is hidden the gate to eternity. Khalil Gibran